It was about time that Karachi Showbiz industry showed its fist to the film world. Karachi is where Music industry flocks in to make albums. Karachi’s drama industry is undeniably producing the best Tv serials and plays, But it was Lahore that the world recognized as the showbiz capital of Pakistan, because this is where stage drama was happening and this is where is our film industry resides. I am long done with my Karachi Vs Lahore wars [let’s keep Fashion Industry out of it 😉 and people who say that no no no there is no Karachi VS Lahore in Fashion .. Please :p !! ] of we are better, no we are better, but fact is that its a shame that both our stage drama and lollywood in 60 years have turned from some great days till mid 80’s to a sheer embarrasment now . Stage touched the new heights of filth and vulgarity and lollywood tells the same story.
In came “BOMBAY DREAMS” musical in 2011 and Karachi theatre never looked back since then. Countless great stage plays after Bombay Dreams, sponsors joined in to support and good news is that there is no stop to it. The Quality Theatre is back into its groove all over Pakistan now.. so this is the story of our Stage world.
Talking of our Film industry, Karachi did came to rescue with its first initiative in the form of Kara Film festival in 2001 and soon became the talk of the “world”… sad it’s in a hibernation mode for some years now.. (God knows why !).
2013 is hinted as the year of revival of Pakistani cinema and Mein hoon Shahid Afridi probably will be remembered as the “First Step in the right direction”. The documentary film “Saving Face” winning Oscars in 2012, gave the rush of blood to all who wanted to do good for Pakistani Film Industry. Some Chambeli’s and Josh’s did happened, but were unable to make any mark ! (one can’t call a TV long play a film na ! Nor our people are mad to pay for a ticket and watch a tv drama like film in Atrium).
Why MHSA will be remembered as the First step in right direction is not just that its a properly done masala film with patriotic flavor ( thats what janta of subcontinent mostly want) its also because there is no break after that . Khuda ke liye too happened and so did BOL but they just were not able to revive the cinema, a break and you need to start it all together from zero. I am sure you have not missed out seeing the teasers and trailers of Zinda Bhaag, Waar, Moor and Operation -021. All are releasing this year. They all look so great that nobody would even be getting into predictiions or forecasting this time. These films are confirmed to be taken by storm by Pakistan and probably will also make a mark around the world.
A movie by Humayun Saeed and Shahzad Nasib of Six Sigma Films International, MHSA is a fun treat. ARY Films and Mandviwalla Entertainment are the official distributors of the movie, The film is directed by Syed Ali Raza and written by Vasay Chaudhry. The movie premiered in Atrium Cinemas on August 23rd. PR and Marketing was taken care of by Catalyst PR.
What a great night it was. Atrium cinema was flooded by stars and celebrities and can you believe, with such a star studded event, the movie started almost on time.
MHSA cast includes Nadeem Baig, Javed Sheikh, Humayun Saeed, Mahnoor Baloch, Noman Habib, Shahzad Sheikh, Ismail Tara, Shafqat Cheema, Humza Ali Abbasi, Gohar Rasheed and Ainy Jaffri along with the guest appearance by the man himself Shahid Afridi.
No I am not telling you any further as I want all of you to watch this movie. Some points to be noted and what i liked and disliked about the movie.
1. If you are expecting something like Bol or Khuda ke Liye or some parallel cinema ki art movie . Please give your self a break !!
2. If you are planning to be highly critical of the movie, I suggest, keep your brains home ( not that I mean its a silly movie) . Chennai Express is all set to be the biggest hit of Bollywood of all time ( you know what is that about 😛 )
3. Not much from Mahnoor Baloch except for 2 songs and cheek pay pappi by Humayun Sayeed, her script had lines less than the guest appearnace of Shahid afridi who had atleast a paragraph to tell.
4. Why Noman Habib ??? not that he acted bad, He is nothing like Shahid Afridi but a kuchi kooo awww mera munna type !
5. I finally have developed liking for this Omung lassi guy, Hamza Ali Abbasi. good performance. Mathira did a great job with her dance and a rather steamy and playful acting.
6. I want Nadeem doing a negative role for a change.
7. Humayun Saeed. He is a STAR ! Ismail tara is a STAR ! Shafqat Cheema is a STAR ! Javed Sheikh is a STAR. Great performances.
8. The part of script which had some religion involved, it was ABSOLUTELY unneccessary. I have a feeling some might just get offended, but hey hey nothing too over the board.
9. Mahnoor Baloch can’t dance.
10. Mohammad Ahmed, a fine Tv actor and a writer. Why would you degrade yourself by doing the film, where he has done NOTHING except for faking a wine, laughing and standnig like a munshi around Javed Sheikh!
11. Music = Just Okay !
12. So excited for LUX style awards already. Films categories surely making a comeback next year, hence more grand the event will be ;).
Pictures from the premiere night: